"CMC" moniker

Joshua Wulf jwulf at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 22:55:28 UTC 2005

As discussed in today's meeting we're continuing the discussion of what
the Fedora "Community Marketing Contacts" should be called here on the
mailing list.

Here are my thoughts on the matter:

I believe... that "CMC" must go (bad marketingspeak bad!). As mentioned
by gdk in an earlier post, Fedora is many things. It's a distro, and
it's a project. We're all about community - distro and project - not
simply a finished "product". We're not marketing a product, which
implies a monologue - we're building a community: we need a conversation.

I see the role of a "CMC" as three fold:

1. Inquire (hear first, if you wish to be heard - conduit of information
from the peeps to the project - "We hear ya!")
2. Inform (conduit of information from inside the project to the
outside: community and wider public)
3. Invite (It's all about participation - Our Motto: "We Make it Easy!")

I liked Colin's way of testing potential titles:

"yada yada yada..." says <insert name>, <insert title> of the Fedora
Project.

...says XYZ, spokesperson for the Fedora Project
...says XYZ, ambassador of the Fedora Project / Fedora Foundation (i
like that one, it's like something from Trek)

Suggestions so far (from today's meeting):

Ambassador
Spokesperson
Advocate
Evangelist