The ongoing Fedora Forum discussion

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 19:09:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Karsten Wade wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 14:22 -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
> > We wanted enough input to validate the direction the logo should take.
> > The mechanism we used to gather that input was the Fedora marketing list.
> > Why?  Because this is *precisely* why the Fedora marketing group exists.
> > And yes, that *necessarily* excludes 99% of the Fedora community -- but it
> > *includes* the 1% who care enough about the direction of Fedora's brand to
> > get *directly* involved.
>
> It's a really sad state of affairs we are in.
>
> Besides the marketing project, there is Extras and documentation that
> have *very* high levels of community involvement.  In fact, the
> community members out number the @redhat.com people, hands down.
>
> These forum posts insult every one of those community people, including
> Matt.  As with anything in open source, they better get their facts
> straight before they start foaming at the mouth, or they deserve the bit
> bucket they get put in.

It's ok.  This kind of heat is a lot better than being ignored.  If it
brings more well-intentioned people to the project, I think that's a fine
thing.  And if it causes unreasonable people to decide that we're a bunch
of fascists and they'll take their allegiances elsewhere -- well, I have
no problem with that, either.

And most of all, I remember not to take it personal.  I'm doing what I'm
convinced is right, as are we all.  Good enough for me.  :)

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan