Rethinking the Freemedia problem

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Apr 1 17:38:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 13:15 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> Just free thinking here.  Stop me if I'm an idiot.  :)
>
> We've clearly got LOTS of demand.  What we need is more participants.
> BUT... we don't want to burden participants like we've burdened poor
> Thomas.  :)
>
> Maybe we need more structure and tools to scale participation -- and a way
> to "guarantee" response times.  So let me bounce this structure off you:

Every real problem can be solved by building a business model around
it ;-). While the Freemedia and share media solutions are great to reach
the technology enthusiasts which Fedora is pretty suitable for, there is
probably better value is letting small scale OEM's do their job too.
That would mean identifying their needs better and perhaps modifying the
software to support branding effectively as well as trademark guidelines
for it and having a single contact point to tackle their problems.

Rahul