Fedora derivatives branding discussion

Jeremy Hogan jeremy.hogan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 00:39:29 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Gerold Kassube <gerold at lugd.org> wrote:

> I suppose that it can be dangerous for us if we declare that somebody
> can use the Trademark of Fedora mixed with another Trademark or a
> Projectname ...

I think we can say "It's okay with us*"

*As it pertains to Fedora marks, all other registered trademarks you are
adding to this are between you and those other guys, and we reserve the
right to come smack you if you change your name to GNU/Fedora Sony
Kiddie-Porn Nike Teen Server -- IIS Viagara SEX SEX Edition.

Hmmm. I wonder how many spam filters just bounced me.

Anyway, I like the idea of a "based on Fedora" with it's own logo, and a set
of reasonable rules that users can self-govern by. Allowing them only to mix
a distro from only FC+FE repos would enable touchless access to the mark
(ie. we don't have any 3rd party packages to review, and we also don't have
to judge at what point to little % of their distro is still Fedora to call
it Fedora based).

I'd vote that anyone wanting to call themselves Fedora Foo would be looked
at a bit more, since there will be an implicit official affiliation in a
user's mind. I could see folks creating things like appliances, or single
app servers and wanting to call them Fedora CRM, Fedora Classroom, Fedora
Video Server so it'd be worth considering Fedora Foo uses, but might have to
be manually reviewed, IMHO.

--jeremy