Fedora derivatives branding discussion -- the root problems (revisited/simplified)

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Fri Apr 21 16:16:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 08:50 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> I basically wanted to point out that we should be addressing the real
> _legal_ issues at the Anaconda tools themselves.  If you make it easy
> for people to change the logos with standard disclaimers right in the
> installer, people _will_ do it.

I agree that obvious, easy tools will cause people to "do the right
thing" most of the time.  Are we still discussing the policy that those
tools need to fulfill, though?

I have one new question:
How will RawHide/FE-devel packages fit into this scheme?  RawHide is a
baby eater so a redistribution of Fedora that uses these packages could
well be less stable than usual.  OTOH, sometimes fixes for problems only
appear in RawHide or take quite some time to be pushed back to the
previous Core release.  So the, "Fedora Bleeding GNOME Linux", "Fedora
AIGLX Linux", or "Fedora r300 LiveCD Linux" would pretty much have to
pull from RawHide.  (Note that only one of my three examples would be
targetted at RawHide long term.  The others would be folded back into
mainline in FC+1 or FC+2.  I think a lot of RawHide targetted
redistributions would be this way; short-term RawHide, long-term either
the need goes away or they retarget against a Fedora Core branch after
the newer packages go in.)

Another issue is that RawHide binary packages will disappear after a few
new pushes so the versions of packages these distributions are based on
won't be available from official Fedora Repositories anymore.  The same
thing could potentially happen with Fedora Updates, though, which I am
assuming would be included in the "FC + FE" package set.

I started this post thinking RawHide should be excluded but now I'm more
divided....

-Toshio