Fedora derivatives branding discussion -- the root problems (revisited/simplified)

Chris Negus cnegus at rucls.net
Fri Apr 21 17:29:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 08:50 -0700, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I basically wanted to point out that we should be addressing the real
> _legal_ issues at the Anaconda tools themselves.  If you make it easy
> for people to change the logos with standard disclaimers right in the
> installer, people _will_ do it.

You and others have raised some really good technical issues. I'd like
to add my $.02 on how I'd like to see Fedora branding, with an eye
toward a more solid view of what Fedora is:

* Fedora Core: Only ISOs from a Fedora repository (with matching
sha1sum) can use the Fedora name, official logo and label on
redistributed media. Updates, extra packages, etc. can go on separate
media.

* Built from Fedora: Anyone building a custom distro from Fedora
(anaconda plus binaries) can add some official tag line like "Built from
Fedora" or "Fedora Inside" and a different Fedora-like logo on the
packaging. No use of the Fedora name should be allowed in a new
distro/live CD name. No official blessing. Fedora Project should reserve
the right to tell someone to stop using the tag-line/2nd logo if they
are doing something evil.

I don't think anyone should be required to remove Fedora logos from
inside their new distro/live CD. Apache, OpenOffice.org, GNOME and
other projects leave their logos in when their software is used in
different distros. Why not Fedora? It's advertising for the project,
without official blessing (or responsibility). Just don't let others
package their product as "the" Fedora Core.

(I apologize if my tone sounds too definitive above. I'm actually quite
flexible in the details. But I want to illustrate the kind of firm
language I'd like to see come out of the Fedora Project on this issue.)

Bottom line on my opinion :)
     1) Make it easy to redistribute and mark the real Fedora Core as
        official.
     2) Make it easy to spin your own distro, with a nod to Fedora, but
        no official blessing or responsibility from Fedora.

-- Chris Negus