[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Slashdot interview with Fedora Project leader Max Spevack

Nicola Losito n.losito at yahoo.it
Mon Aug 21 15:08:04 UTC 2006

Il giorno 18/ago/06, alle ore 16:34, Rahul ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> http://interviews.slashdot.org/interviews/06/08/17/177220.shtml

Does the interview actually ends up with Max saying "Which is why I
think a lot of the OSS "religious wars" don't make a lot of sense." ??

If so i am a bit disappointed :-)
That's because on the last question "Have you tried Ubuntu yourself?
Is there, in your opinion, something Ubuntu does better than Fedora?"
Max didn't actually answered.

He cites the main site/wiki efficency and the fist second impression
of a missing NetworkManager but then he omits to talk about the
obvious better "dektop experience" for Ubuntu users (fade effects,
fast user switching, general graphical consinstency [1]).

Ubuntu was born to be, and it's still developed to be,  "Linux for
Human Beings". Like my mom, or my friend which has studied
literature, or anyone. Fedora is a 360° open pourpouse distribution.
With time and skill you can turn it into anything you like or want it
to be.

If that's our goal fine, go ahead.

If we want to appeal more and more people, and to get them come to
use we should think new strategies, the couple that comes to my mind
are (i think) near the actual Board goals (as stated in the interview):

- the Core + Extras + Community package separation should be clearly
resolved.
The Ubuntu or Mandriva approach is (to me) the winner: core (as
universe or main) + extras (multiverse or contrib) + jpackage (java
related) + PLF/non-free and STOP. No more livna/rpmforge dualism, nor
a dozen self referring repo for a specific task (each one on his server)

- some enhancements in the graphical behaviour of our window managers
(but i'd like to talk about them in the desktop list).

Hope that my english was not too rusty to be understood.

--
Nicola  .:kOoLiNuS:.  Losito

http://koolinus.wordpress.com
http://www.koolinus.net