[Fedora-marketing-list] Interesting Article

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 21 17:03:15 UTC 2006

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
. Having security
> updates and bugfixes is good, and OK, but without the benefits from
> newer versions of the programs, you are pretty much "forced" to
> upgrade to a new version pretty much as soon as your current distro is
> moved to Legacy. I'm not asking for this to change, after all I knew
> that this was going to be the case with Fedora, as it IS part of what
> makes Fedora, Fedora. But I wanted to point out that in the case of
> Ubuntu, for its users the greater lifespan is good, as they have
> upgrades, updates and bugfixes heavily worked on for 18 months, before
> a distro upgrade.

In Fedora the updates during a release tend to be much more closer to
upstream than other distributions. For example, Ubuntu does not update
to upstream kernels  post-release unlike Fedora (which has its pros and
cons). So you will have to clarify what you mean by the above.

In the case of Fedora this is at most for 12 months
> before moving into Legacy; and even then, some times even when the
> next version is released the prior automatically stops getting new
> versions of programs and is stalled. Not that this is 100% true, but
> it is for quite a bit of packages (glibc, gcc, etc, etc), but at least
> in the case of GCC this can induce serious problems.

Any major upgrade include core components has potential to introduce
problems, yes.

Rahul