[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: slashdot

Nicola Losito n.losito at yahoo.it
Wed Aug 30 10:48:18 UTC 2006

So here i am again.
I've let settle down a little dust in the discussion with Raul.

 From a Marketing point (yes, techicians ALL hates marketing) point
how can/want we "force" the developers to appeal more customers ?
And i do not mean professional ones which uses XEN or SElinux in a
"conscious" way, but everyday people. I mean the point & click
inclined to.
I might say to look on how Novell has worked on the desktop
experience of SLED starting from the openSUSE, there are some yards
of difference between the two projects.

 From my point of view we can welcome more people:

- talking till come blue in the face of Fedora, of what's going on
and why (possibily);

- continuing this road of "disclosure" i am enjoying since Max has
come "the" chief :-P

- simplyfing the package management & retrieval (again to give a
slight idea i would *love* a hugest as possible fedora-extra repo, an
external FC-compatible non-US repository for packages that are
allowed almoust everywhere but not in the USA and a "Penguin
Liberation Front" style repo);

- answering in a clear and motivated way to people approaching ....
being told "your vision is wrong or different" is useless. We have to
suppose that people who subscribes here or another no help-desk list
has read and understood our "policies" and still has a different take
on them. Things are always perfectible (hope it's the right word) and
welcoming new ideas is not always bad. On the contrary to stick
obsessively with self made rules would end in a closed environment,
and we - i suppose - are for the Open.

- try to develop more friendly and unified "control center" .... now
for Fedora (and also Debian) i see a tendency to put this effort on
Gnome or KDE. I like the Mandriva Control Center and YaST approach,
and since someone told me YaST is smart enough to leave untouched
hand-modified files and since it has become GPL'd i would like other
distro approach and make it better than it is (as it's being done
with Smart Package management).

So, lunch is coming my way .... i'll stop bothering this list !
Thanks for reading ++ i do hope to have been "understandable"

--
Nicola   .:kOoLiNuS:.   Losito
http://koolinus.wordpress.com

ITA => http://www.koolinus.net