[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: [Ambassadors] Name for future Fedora distribition?

Steve Barnhart stb52988 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 00:52:53 UTC 2006

On 11/30/06, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Chris Negus wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 14:43 -0500, Steve Barnhart wrote:
> >> I agree, How about just keeping it Fedora and/or Fedora Linux,
> >> everyone knows that and no point in confusing people again. No one
> >> really cared about the Core part anyway, IMO it was a stupid name.
> >
> > I agree with Fedora Linux. Someone looking for a Linux system that isn't
> > already in the choir will find it more easily in searches. Those of us
> > who were writing about Red Hat Linux were thrown into naming hell when
> > Red Hat Linux shifted to Fedora Core. Fedora Linux would have softened
> > the blow.
>
> But, see, that's not even what we're talking about.
>

> So following Chris's logic, maybe we'd fill in values as such:
>    X = Fedora 7 Linux
>    Y = Fedora 7 Linux Server
>    Z = Fedora 7 Linux Desktop
>
> And maybe I buy that for Y and Z... but not for X.  Because people will
> say "I want Fedora Linux", and that's not going to be a sufficient answer,
> because "Fedora Linux" will just be too damned big.

Every other distribution does this so I really don't see the problem.
Keep the regular name Fedora or Fedora Linux for the entire
distribution and the regular variant will be predefined packages from
the Fedora repository and a special server edition if warranted. I
don't see how Fedora is so different from Debian (which does it this
way I believe), Opensuse, and Ubuntu, all community distributions.

--
Steve