[Fedora-marketing-list] Name for future Fedora distribition?

Rajesh Pandey pandey.pandey at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 07:33:43 UTC 2006

On 12/2/06, Gian Paolo Mureddu <gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx> wrote:

> I still think that "just Fedora" works great, or maybe Fedora GNU/Linux
> (yeah, I know, the GNU part... And sounds so much like Debian). At any
> rate, why would the distribution have to change? Yes, Extras and Core
> merged, but that does not mean that all packages will be available in
> the distributed media or images. I think that maybe keeping the same
> selection of packages for the typical media images would be best and
> have as an option install any of the additional packages at install time
> from Anaconda with Yum, so at installation they would still be
> available, and maybe have a separate set of media images which would
> include all the packages and span many, many more packages.

Fedora  : its been like a brand name and most people trust it. Adding
something makes confused. Yeah we should respect the GNU part. But can't it
be Fedora again as it was before? If we had Fedora before why now again..
Putting a trailing portions like Fedora 1, ... Fedora 7, Fedora $version
seems reasonable for new distribution. KISS  it . :P

Even if we keep longer names the community will always call it just fedora
.. Keeping the names always linux have made many people confused.  We have
Linus Torvalds inside credits, GNU inside credits.
What about encaptulation.. Hiding some unwanted stuffs without breaking the
rules of GNU or freedom. Everyone can look at the credits for the
contributors. Its not about forcing names in their mouth every time they use
linux. Every time I open a windows box or talk about windows and I have to
pronounce Bill Gates once. :( not interesting.. I think We should have been
liberal..

It could even be done so, that it would be possible to have different