[Fedora-marketing-list] Derivate distributions and GPL

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Sun Jul 16 18:19:26 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 July 2006 12:55, Dimitris Glezos <dimitris at glezos.com> wrote:
> O/H Rahul έγραψε:
> > I think we should make it trivially easy to rebrand Fedora and look at
> > colloborating with derivative distributions.The form of colloboration
> > is not necessarily any sort of legal or business agreements but merely
> > working arrangements that help us understand what the derivatives or
> > doing and see if we can help out in mutually beneficial ways.
> >
> > This is more and more important as there is a means to start treating
> > Fedora as a big base of packages which people do interesting things from
> > rather than just a consumer package.
>
> +1. Many distributions (derivatives or not) produce useful tools and
> ideas which could be used in Fedora, without re-inventing the wheel
> (this is, besides, the whole idea of FOSS). Also, Fedora could provide
> them with arrangements that could be useful for them.
>
> We should strive to see developers of derivative distributions as
> collaborators and lower the barrier of collaboration as much as possible.

To a degree, we already do a lot to enable derivatives.  Our licensing,
trademark guidelines, and packaging processes are all friendly to
derivatives.  The issue at hand is whether or not we would be willing to
accept responsibility for providing the source code as required by the GPL
for a downstream distribution.  I really don't think we should.  I'm happy to
enable derivatives, but I don't think we should take any responsibility for
them.  We also need to be very careful in establishing any sort of
relationship with specific derivatives.  There are plenty of political and
liability concerns behind doing so.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com