Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

Irving Bennett irving at alairelibre.net
Wed Jun 7 13:57:15 UTC 2006

> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 05:17, Naoki <naoki at valuecommerce.com> wrote:
>> Don't flame me, just making an observation and voicing an opinion ( and
>> we all know about those ).
>>
>> I typed the following terms into google and hit "I'm feeling Lucky" and
>> this is what I felt about the results..

>> "fedora" - Without doubt the most disappointing, and least exciting
>> result of the bunch.
>>
>> Of the fedora sites I tend to lean towards fedoraproject.org being the
>> nicest, fedora.info coming in second, while fedora.us is down for me so
>> I can't tell.
>>
>> I tend to think the same as Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing but it
>> would be nice if Fedora was better represented.
>>
>> Is anybody working on perhaps improving the situation or would this be
>> deemed low priority / unimportant ?
>>

> There's not too terribly much more we can do about this.  Google's results
> are
> largely determined by their PageRank formulas a few other automated
> factors,
> and the standing of results can change at any time.  fedora.redhat.com was
> long the official Fedora website, and the migration to fedoraproject.org
> has
> been slow in many regards.  As more people and websites begin pointing to
> fedoraproject.org instead, that domain will rise in the results.  Having
> the
> external references split between the two domains has a negative impact on
> the standings of each.  If you want to help, the best thing you can do is
> tell people to direct their links to the fedoraproject.org domain.
>
> --
> Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
> nman64 at n-man.com
>
> http://www.n-man.com/
>
> LinkedIn:
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/nman64
>
> Have I been helpful?  Rate my assistance!
> http://rate.affero.net/nman64/

I believe Naoki was referring to the quality of the Fedora sites. The
Fedora sites do not have nearly as much information and documentation as
the other sites. We know that much of the excellent Redhat documentation
applies to Fedora as well, but within the Fedora sites there is almost no
documentation. For example, there is no "Fedora User Guide" in the Fedora
sites. Also, if you take a look at Recent Changes in the Fedora Project
site, most of the activity has to do with this group. There is very little
activity in the "real information" area.

As a long time Fedora user, I have often turned to other places to find
information on how to run my Fedora Linux systems. Most often I turn to
Redhat, or tldp.org. Very seldom do I find answers in fedora.redhat.com,
or fedoraproject.com... The answer, of course, is that some of us have to
pick up that ball, and run with it!

Saludos,

Irving Bennett
Panama