Fedora web site. The "I'm feeling lucky" test.

Bryan Elliott bryan at zoinkz.com
Thu Jun 8 01:06:48 UTC 2006

Naoki wrote:
> Don't flame me, just making an observation and voicing an opinion ( and
> we all know about those ).
>
> I typed the following terms into google and hit "I'm feeling Lucky" and
> this is what I felt about the results..
>
> "mandriva"  - Looks clean, but driven by a marketing team.
> "centos" - Perfectly functional to me.
> "ubuntu" - Neat, clean, works.
> "suse" - Pretty good, typical corporate site.
> "xandros" - Much the same comment I have for Suse.
> "yellow dog" - And again, but more slick.
> "knoppix" - Lots of penguins, not pretty, but info and download links
> are easy to find.
> "slackware" - Very basic, which suits what slackware is actually.
> "turbolinux" - Easy enough to find what I need, not the nicest looking
> by far though.
> "red flag linux" - Works for me.
> "redhat" - Nice, good layout of information, get quickly into the area I
> want.
> "debian" - Not pretty at all, but works.
> "fedora" - Without doubt the most disappointing, and least exciting
> result of the bunch.
>
> Of the fedora sites I tend to lean towards fedoraproject.org being the
> nicest, fedora.info coming in second, while fedora.us is down for me so
> I can't tell.
>
> I tend to think the same as Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing but it
> would be nice if Fedora was better represented.
>
> Is anybody working on perhaps improving the situation or would this be
> deemed low priority / unimportant ?
>
> Cheers.

I personally think that the only way you are going to drive up stats the
fedoraproject.org site and get better rankings is if the
fedora.redhat.com goes away. Right now having two sites is splitting the
traffic that would otherwise go to the one single site. Would it be
possible to get the fedora.redhat.com site redirected to
fedoraproject.org? and over time phase the redhat sub-domain out?

That being said I believe that to a new user the fedora.redhat.com site
is a lot less intimidating that the fedoraproject.org site. Again these
are just my ideals for what they are worth.

Bryan Elliott