[Fedora-livecd-list] Fedora LiveCD build#002

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 16:17:54 UTC 2006

On 3/16/06, J. Hartline <jasperhartline at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Well, that isn't the only thing that sticks out as a problem.
> I'm fairly sure many would agree that a Live media of a test release
> that was issued many many days ago, the packages are now obsolete.

what the specific package payload looks like in a TEST of the livecd
is a function of the engineering goals which the TEST release of the
livecd needs to achieve. If the developer pushing the developerment
forward needs to spin a test release to test factors that need to be
worked out which do not require the final package payload...then it
makes absolutely perfect sense.

> I'm not sure if you know, but you can't just "yum update" LiveCDs.

Who gives a crap, its a test release.  If there are technical issues
with livecds which have absolute nothing to do with which versions of
which applications are available that need testing, the developer
pushing things forward should spin a test release and provide those of
us who are willing to help test the specific guidance to focus our
efforts. Noone forces anyone to be involved in every round of testing.
If you don't want to participate in this round of testing.. then
don't.. get the hell out of the way and wait till the next test
release.

I'm personally in favor of as many incremental test release isos as
possible to work out bugs in as much livecd specific behavior as
possible for the very reason that you CANT yum update later on to
solve problems in the final release. The more incremental livecd betas
I can eat now, with specific guidance as to what features need testing
between releases, the more likely a bug won't slip through to screw up
the final release. If you don't have the bandwidth or the time to be a
part of every release in the test process, then skip some.

Hell, in my ideal world Chitlesh would be able to automate nightly
timestamped livecd iso which incorporated daily changes, so I could
track specific issues on a daily basis. More testable releases not
fewer.... release early release often.

-jef