Fedora Media Project (was: Re: New Member introduction)

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Mar 29 21:39:14 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 14:30, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Clair wrote:
> > * If we give one vendor special treatment by mentioning them on the FM
> > page, they'll all want it.
>
> Is it really special treatment?  Special treatment, in my mind, would be
> putting a vendor to the top of the list because they offered us a
> kickback.  Special treatment implies "shady dealings".  I don't see this
> proposal as being special treatment at all.  Karlie is voluteering to
> offer a service that *none* of the other vendors are offering, and we are
> acknowledging that.  It's not like she is the *only* vendor who can do
> this.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if all of our vendors believed so strongly
> in Fedora that they wanted to do the same thing?
>
> > * The idea, as good as it is, is still primarily as a 'vendor'. * It
> > isn't quite FreeMedia, but it is closely related.
>
> FreeMedia: some entity says "i'll create and ship, at cost to myself, X
> number of Fedora discs to people in the queue.  I decide what X is, and
> that's fine with you guys, because you'll take *anything*".
>
> All Karlie is doing is stating *her* manner for determining X.  X == the
> number of orders that she gets for Fedora.
>
> She is acting as a vendor and as a FreeMedia participant.
>
> The fact is, she can fulfill a *much* larger number of FreeMedia requests
> than random people who are burning DVDs at home, because *this is what she
> does*.

As we agreed upon in IRC, this program doesn't quite fit Free Media and is
something more than our current vendor list offers.  I love the overall idea,
and dealing with new circumstances is an important part of managing a project
like Fedora.  I feel like the new page already created is the best way to
handle this new way of distributing media.  We can tie the assorted media and
vendor pages together, so it isn't a problem to create unique pages for each
unique distribution technique.  I'd love to see others step up and try this
approach.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/SponsoredMedia

> What it looks like here is that we've reached the point where Fedora
> Marketing has incubated an idea to the point where it needs to have its
> own project.  It's time for Fedora to have a Media Project, that can look
> at the issues here, and figure out the best way to work with Karlie.
> This should encompass the FreeMedia efforts that are already going on,
> formalize it, figure out the issues, and make things happen.  You have my
> support, and Greg's as well I'm sure.

I'll pledge my support to such a project, too.  I can't lead such a project,
as I've already got my hands full.  If someone would like to step up to lead
the effort, I'd be happy to help them get started and to answer any
questions.  If someone feels like they have the time and motivation, I hope
they'll step up.

This project would be able to encompass the Free Media program and the
management of the vendor lists, as well as overall maintenance of our
Distribution materials.  Thomas and Clair have already invested time in these
endeavors, so I hope we can count on them to continue with this new project.

> Tejas Dinkar has offered to work on the code of a request tracking queue.
> We need a couple of people step up and handle the logistics.  Thomas Chung
> seems a likely candidate, since he's heavily involved in FreeMedia as
> well.  Who else wants to be involved?  Thomas has his hands in lots of
> pieces of Fedora, and this is a good opportunity for someone to step up
> and be a leader.

A project-wide request tracker is a standing goal for the Fedora
Infrastructure team.  We can use it for tracking media requests when it is
ready.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com