Turning off Paid Adverts for Sponsored Media

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 3 01:31:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 13:15 +1200, Michael J Knox wrote:

> I don't doubt that for a second. Nor was I suggesting RH foot the entire
> bill.
>
> Myself, I am more than happy suppling New Zealand any media requests.
>
> However, Could RH not assist, even for local (as in US) media requests?
> Then that can relieve the burden of US request and allow the continual
> search for other sponsors to assist with other global regions?
>
> Michael

I still think you are underestimating costs. Red Hat already spends a
lot of amount shipping media to various places through the ambassadors
project.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors/SteeringCommittee/Budget

If we continue doing this we would run out of money very soon and we
couldnt possibly justify that as a good expenditure next time around.
Look at this way. Roughly 1.5 million dollars for bandwidth alone for a
single year. Add to that engineering, infrastructure and marketing costs
for a zero direct revenue project.

In US, its relatively easy to buy media or download the ISO images
compared to various places where its much more harder to do either.
Granted, all these would be nice but the priorities are going to be
spending the funds on engineering rather than this.

Distributing the costs would make it much more effective. Local event
sponsors, free media, sponsored media and maybe even regional Red Hat
offices are better way to channel resources.

How can I donate is a FAQ.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Contribute

Rahul