New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri May 26 22:57:04 UTC 2006

chasd at silveroaks.com escribió:
> The values reported by my version of Inkscape ( 0.43-3.fc5, PPC )
>
> for PMS 2935
> Hex :  0A57A4
> RGB : R10, G87, B164
> CMYK : C94, M47, Y0, K36
>
> for PMS 541
> Hex : 072B61
> RGB : R6, G43, B97
> CMYK : C93, M56, Y6, K62
>
> I'd be interested if yours were different from these.
> Those hex values above are what is in the SVG, but they don't match
> the usage guide hex values.
>
>> I would assume there is a problem with CMYK support in Inkscape,
>> which might be worth to report to the mailing list.
>
> I mentioned this previously, the SVG spec doesn't support CMYK[1] or
> PMS, so Inkscape makes some guesses to convert to those color spaces.
> There is a way to save an SVG as an Inkscape-only SVG that maintains
> those values, but those values won't get used by another program that
> opens the file. Similar to the issue where Illustrator is able to get
> the colors right if it opens the SVG, but Inkscape can't.
Indeed the problem with CMYK in Inkscape seems to be that as the format
does not support other color schemes than RGBA. Which ends up in the
problems with CMYK and HSL, as the program will dynamicall convert
between RGBA and CMYK/HSL as you move the handlers. So the problem is a
format problem and not a program problem, per se... Which pretty much
ties our hands to proprietary software and formats.

Reading through some file format specifications from the W3C (the png
spec[1], for instance) says that the CMYK color space is too
device-dependent to be useful as portable image representation... I
don't fully understand this. I thought RGBA was the one
device-dependant, which had a great deal of variation from device to
device... This whole thing confuses the heck out o me, as I'm only an
amateur with this stuff (who would have thought that pretty graphics
were filled with bureaucracy and XYZ standards?) Anyway, that's the
state of things, and if I want to play in this field, I have to abide by
these rules...

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/PNG-Rationale.html