New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Fri May 26 21:06:13 UTC 2006

chasd at silveroaks.com escribió:
>> I may be a total inexperienced user and complete amateur when it comes
>> to graphics design and color theory, but unless I'm terribly wrong,
>> that's why the Pantone® color numbers are used, isn't it?,
>
> Without going into a long discussion on color reproduction, there are
> some bad things about specifying a color via the PMS system. Simply
> put, PMS was designed to use the Pantone inks only, so if you use any
> other color space ( let's say some obscure ones like RGB or CMYK ),
> you won't get what you specified. ( I'm surprised several people
> jumped up and down about the free font issue, but no one mentions
> using a proprietary, single vendor color system ;) Anyway, the big
> difficulty is getting various output devices to reliably match a PMS
> color. Most companies that print stuff work very hard to get that
> right behind the scenes, it doesn't always come easy.
>
> That said, PMS is considered a standard in the graphics/print
> industry, so using PMS to specify the colors is not really a wrong
> move. But it isn't a silver bullet that solves all color reproduction
> issues.
I understand about this, but the problem is that printing houses don't.
They mostly use PMS and especially down here (Mexico City) it is a
problem. Even Adobe native formats have problems as most print houses
use Corel tools.

>> I am using
>> Inkscape, as I'm doing all in Linux with free software... One thing odd,
>> though... As you say, CMYK values are rather odd, however the
>> hexadecimal values and the RGBA values DO correspond to those in the
>> PDF.
>
> The values reported by my version of Inkscape ( 0.43-3.fc5, PPC )
>
> for PMS 2935
> Hex :  0A57A4
> RGB : R10, G87, B164
> CMYK : C94, M47, Y0, K36
>
> for PMS 541
> Hex : 072B61
> RGB : R6, G43, B97
> CMYK : C93, M56, Y6, K62
>
> I'd be interested if yours were different from these.
> Those hex values above are what is in the SVG, but they don't match
> the usage guide hex values.
Inkscape 0.43-3.fc5, x86_64.

The infinity symbol freshly opened, I get the following values (from
RGBA to Hex):
Background (bubble)

RGBA: 5 43 97 255
HSL: 152 230 51 255
CYMK: 97 55 0 62 100
Hex: 002b61ff

Infinity symbol:

RGBA: 10 87 164 255
HSL: 149 226 87 255
CYMK: 95 48 0 36 100
Hex: 0856a4ff

Freedom "f":

RGBA: 255 255 255 255
HSL: 0 0 255 255
CYMK: 0 0 0 100
Hex: ffffffff

>> I would assume there is a problem with CMYK support in Inkscape,
>> which might be worth to report to the mailing list.
>
> I mentioned this previously, the SVG spec doesn't support CMYK[1] or
> PMS, so Inkscape makes some guesses to convert to those color spaces.
> There is a way to save an SVG as an Inkscape-only SVG that maintains
> those values, but those values won't get used by another program that
> opens the file. Similar to the issue where Illustrator is able to get
> the colors right if it opens the SVG, but Inkscape can't.
Good point... I was thinking on raising this discussion at the Inkscape
mailing list and see what does the Inkscape community has to say about
this situation, or if it is a bug in the current implementation of CMYK
scheme or what. But since the format as such does not support the CMYK
color scheme, it may very well be traced down to a simple conversion
error in the CMYK algorithm used by Inkscape.

>> I have had some
>> trouble manipulating the files in Inkscape (only tried with the infinity
>> symbol, though), but I had to resort to the XML editor to be able to
>> select the different four elements of the drawing, when trying to select
>> with the mouse, only a grouped selection is possible..
>
> There are two selection tools in Inkscape, you might have been using
> the one that doesn't let you select objects within a group. I didn't
> have a problem.
I'm suing the F1 selection tool, and you are right... If chose the node
editor, I can indeed select individual objects within the global group.
Thanks for the tip!

>> I suppose this
>> is what the original designer intended, and (compared to a "pure" SVG
>> made with Inkscape),
>
> Yes, mere mortals should really not be poking around within these
> files, as per the guidelines they shouldn't be modified. I opened them
> because I wanted to verify how the files would open and work in
> several different graphics programs.
That's what I thought, a scalable-not-to-be-edited version (editable,
but should not be edited at all). Still I found have some questions
about background color and the symbol... As I noticed in the default
splash screen, boot screen and wallpaper: The infinity symbol has both a
highlight and a white border to prevent it be lost in the darker blue
background. My question would be: For darker backgrounds, could we add a
light/white border to better outline the symbol so it won't be lost and
keep deffinition? That would be editing the symbol, true, but it would
also make it more visible (or simply visible).

>> the file has two additional images (one in jpeg
>> format
>
> I believe that is a thumbnail used to preview files in the Adobe "Open
> File" dialog box. It's not useful for much else.
Ok, that explains it. Thanks.

>> and one in PGF [for whatever that is]) which I have been unable
>> to export
>
> Those are binary structures ( CDATA ) that are used instead of ( or in
> addition to ) the SVG when the file is re-opened in Illustrator.
> If you use a text editor to cut out those entries, InkScape is still
> happy.
But that would be editing the original files, which I thought was
strictly forbidden by the guidelines... Even though it would make
Inkscape happy, that would mean altering the file. If this action was
officially endorsed, then I would do it, or better still, let those who
control the graphics politics for Fedora, handle this, remove those
extra instructions, and may be provide two versions of the files: One in
native Adobe format, and one in "pure" SVG format.