New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Sat May 27 16:16:09 UTC 2006

> From: Hugo Cisneiros <hugo at devin.com.br>

> They complained that the Logo isn't following the guidelines, but
> didn't say
> what guideline it wasn't following. Looking at the guidelines I found
> out
> that I was not following the "Clear Space" rule. Ok, I gave up, IMO
> there was
> no good way to create a new logo for Wiki and follow this guideline.

Identity guidelines can be difficult to follow in some cases, but there
is usually a workable solution. It is possible your original layout
concept did not take the guidelines into account, and retrofitting the
guidelines into that concept was not workable. That doesn't mean that
there is _no_ possible solution, likely just no solution from your
original starting point. Perhaps a fresh start on a different layout
would produce a workable solution.

> Looking today at the proprietary image format about a new Wiki design,
> realized that the design itself isn't following the "clear space"
> guideline
> too. Ironic.

I did not have time to look at that layout. If this is true that does
set a bad president.

> So I suggested (and I'm bringing this discussion here) to extend the
> Logo
> Guidelines to create Sub-Projects Logos, like for Fedora Extras, Fedora
> Documentation, Fedora (Brazil), Fedora (France), and so on. The current
> guidelines does not allow us to do this in a pretty way because of the
> "clear
> space" rule. What do you think?

No.
With identity management, there can be only One True Way. Variation is
confusing and dilutes the identity as one other poster already
mentioned.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265