New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

Máirín Duffy duffy at redhat.com
Sun May 28 18:52:16 UTC 2006

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>> - For Windows it is not one simple download, run setup, and you're
>> good. You also have to install the GTK+ runtime environment *first*,
>> which just by its name is pretty intimidating for non-technical users.
>> In fact, it might be intimidating enough to be off-putting.
>>
> I hate to disagree with you, there are GIMP packages which include GTK
> and install it before The GIMP as such is installed, much like GAIM
> packages which include the GTK runtime or not, and you download
> accordingly.

Can you provide a link?

>> - For OS X it is even more complicated; you have to install fink or
>> ports (for dlcompa), and you have to install X11 before you can
>> install the GIMP. This is quite a bit of a PITA.
>>
>> There are plenty of great potential art contributors out there who may
>> not necessarily be technical enough to quickly / easily figure out how
>> to install the GIMP on their art development platform of choice.
>>
>> I guess I'm just trying to say that things could be worse - the
>> artwork could be in a format that a FOSS program like the GIMP or
>> inkscape couldn't even open to view. And it may not be all that easy
>> for contributing artists to convert their stuff to open formats before
>> submitting.
>
> I have strong doubts of these contributor artists promoting *FOSS* tools
> and OSes if they *don't* use such tools... seems just completely not
> right for some reason... It would be like creating Apple artwork on a
> Windows PC (or a Sun Solaris workstation, for that matter). Not that
> they couldn't, but there sure are ways to produce open formats even on
> such closed platforms, like GIMP selfcontained packages or Inkscape self
> contained packages.

For vector art, I firmly believe Inkscape makes any proprietary vector artwork
creation program unnecessary. For bitmap-based art though.... simple tasks take
a lot longer in the GIMP. They seriously do. Volunteers only have so much time
as it is...

>> If anybody would like to submit contributions in an open format but
>> are having trouble converting their work or aren't sure where to
>> start, feel free to send your stuff to me and I'll be happy to convert
>> it and I'll also help you get the GIMP / whatever installed.
>
> Maybe these should be part of the guidelines/instructions too over at
> the artwork wikis? Not that helping fellow users is a bad thing, but for
> others that may be in the same situation, a central reference can prove
> to be more helpful for a lot of users, as opposed to help out on an
> individual basis.

Sure, would you like to write it?

~m