New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Tue May 30 14:54:44 UTC 2006

> From: M?ir?n Duffy <duffy at redhat.com>

> Actually, this is *not* true with respect to what Hugo is suggesting.
> For example:
>
> http://www.rpi.edu/dept/NewsComm/graphics/downloads/pdfs/toolkit.pdf

Very descriptive document.

> Look at pages 8 & 9 of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute brand
> book. A
> university is a large organization made up of many sub-organizations -
> schools,
> departments, research labs, etc. RPI's brand guidelines (as most
> universities'
> and large corporations') recognize that they must apply to many
> disparate
> sub-organizations that share the same 'brand' and have guidelines for
> incorparating the use of their logo for those sub-organizations.

This can be handled in a way where the sub-organization's identity is
associated with the main brand, bit not integrated with the logo. It
depends how close the affiliation of the sub-organization is to the
main organization.

> This concept of 'sub-logo' guidelines actually not that uncommon in
> brand
> design, and it would be nice if such sub-logo guidelines could be
> specified for
> Fedora's logo.

True. If desired, guidelines on how to handle such cases should be
integrated into the usage document, like the one for rpi.edu mentioned
above. This puts a larger load on someone within the Fedora Project to
keep tabs on a larger array of logos, and have new logos created or
approved as the Fedora Project grows. Without a dedicated logo cop
within the Fedora Project, I think the simplicity of the current usage
document keeps the overhead of maintaining the Fedora visual identity
at a minimum. That is a benefit to the Fedora Community from my point
of view.

I agree with your point, but I ask how much additional value does the
Fedora Project get out of these additional logos, verses establishing
an identity link for sub-organizations without changing the established
usage guidelines ?

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265