New logo guidelines and web design elements posted

chasd at silveroaks.com chasd at silveroaks.com
Tue May 30 15:37:45 UTC 2006

> From: "Patrick W. Barnes" <nman64 at n-man.com>

> This is a common case.  If the original proprietary program
> (Photoshop) can't
> directly save to an open format, then the contributor should use
> another tool
> (the GIMP) to convert the file from a proprietary format (PSD) to the
> best
> open format possible (XCF).  It is the responsibility of the original
> contributor to make this conversion.

XCF is not a open standard format like SVG or OpenDocument. XCF is a
format that happens to have the source code available that reads and
writes that format, otherwise XCF isn't documented well.

I do think it is a good idea to encourage the use of open source tools
by distributing layouts and other files in the _native_ format of those
open source tools. That would include the native format of Scribus (
.sla ).

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265