[Fedora-marketing-list] Community - Was - Ubuntu Release Party...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 12 13:31:32 UTC 2006

Karlie Robinson wrote:

> End users don't read much = RTFM

Sorry. Its not. It wasnt what I meant anyway.

> It's an attitude that's not helpful to users who may have troubles
> regardless of how much they've read.

For a analogy, lets say someone says that feature X should exist. Would
pointing to him or her that such a feature already exists be RTFM? I
dont think so. Do you find it hard to believe that users dont actually
read much documentation? Perhaps a few good looks at usability studies
or talking to people who work on documentation would convince you of that.

 > Imagine if there was a 4th icon on the desktop by default.  Call it >
 > Help, or Getting Started that opened up a directory with options for
 >  IRC help, Manual pages, Forum Help etc

Do you believe that this is going to be more discoverable than the menu
entry for help which provides exactly that?

 > To this day, *I DO NOT USE FEDORA* on my Linux box simply because I
do > not want to deal with the community should I have questions.

Seems to be based on a incorrect assumption. Fedora questions on
fedora-list and fedoraforums are usually answered pretty well. This list
  is for contributors.

Rahul