[Fedora-marketing-list] Legally correct term.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 13 12:44:17 UTC 2006

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>  As some friends and me are preparing a series of Fedora events to take
> place in the coming months, we were wondering what is the correct term
> for "Fedora Linux" legally speaking. We will be making some stickers
> which amongst other things will feature the legend "Fedora Linux", and
> since Linux when used in certain contexts can be referred to as Linux®,
> also I remember that Red Hat refers to Fedora as Fedora™, so when put
> together both terms, what is the correct way to put them:
>
> Fedora™ Linux®
> Fedora Linux®
> Fedora® Linux®
>
> ?
>
> I do believe that the same applies to the Logo, where the Infinity Logo
> is accompanied by the ® symbol, but I'm not sure.
>
> Thanks in advance for your inputs and clarifications.

We dont call the distribution "Fedora Linux". We currently call it
"Fedora Core". There is currently a discussion about merging core and
extras (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraSummit) and the new name
post merger hasnt been decided yet but "Fedora" and "Fedora Linux" are
potential candidates.

Currently you can call it Fedora Core™ but I would avoid the "TM" in
normal references. The logo doesnt have any registered trademarks
associated with it and the names are more casual.

Rahul