[Fedora-marketing-list] Fedora Core 6 Pre release review

Dimitrios 'sehh' Michelinakis dimitris at michelinakis.gr
Fri Oct 6 16:07:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:43:20 +0530 Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> A comparative review on Fedora Core 6.

He is right indeed.

- the icon theme is indeed outdated, VERY outdated and missing many icons

- firefox 2.0 beta is great and stable to use for most things, definetly an advantage to include in Fedora than the old version

- fedora is the slowest Linux distro i've ever used! He is right to bash on fedora like that, my Intel P4 1Ghz machine with Windoze XP Pro boots in 7 seconds flat! while my Athon64 X2 3800 Dual Core boots Fedora Core 5 in a few minutes!!! jesus!

- the initial boot text is indeed ugly and geeky. We either have a full graphical boot, from start to end or we don't have one. Right now we are half and half, which looks very unfinished and ugly.

- yum had problems on my system as well, weird messages about cache not beign writable when it updated fontconfig and other stuff like that. Its also dead slow...

- Compiz was a fiasco as well. We've seen the videos from the Novel presentation and what we have in fedora is just two effects (out of 20?). Ofcourse it didn't work at first (like it happened with the author of the review) and even after i got it working i found too many bugs to actualy keep it running (ctrl-fX keys wouldn't work, couldn't change virtual desktops with ctrl-left arrow, etc).

- my media keys on my IBM ThinkPad wouldn't work either. I had to set them up manualy.

- The fedora sound theme is indeed a joke... thank god its disabled by default. The GDM beep is... well lets just say its better to be deaf than hearing the PC speaker beep every time GDM loads.

too late for FC6... lets hope things improve in FC7...

--
Dimitrios Michelinakis