[Fedora-marketing-list] Re: Ubuntu Release Party in Beijing, what about Fedora?

Rino Mardo rino.mardo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 06:07:52 UTC 2006

<snipped>
> Speaking of installation, if I want to help someone install
> GNU/Linux, I have much more confidence to go with Ubuntu than
> Fedora. For one thing with Fedora I need 5 CDs (dont tell me
> about DVD it is not available on some areas), the chance of
> getting a corrupted CD is much much bigger. Secondly the
> installation has not been tested thoroughly i.e. it failed in
> a lot of machines. For my own desktop, I actually have to do
> a minimal FC5 install and then upgrade to FC6. It is very
> dangerous to frustrate newcomers in their first try. They
> will never come back to Fedora and try their every effort to
> persuade others to go away. I feel very sorry for a friend in
> Philippines, I recommend him to try FC. He managed to
> download the 5CDs with 60k/s to find out it didn't install for him.

<snipped>

Leo, there's a reason why FC comes in all 5 CDs and one of them is to help
users avoid downloading, let's say, developer tools should they need it.
Ubuntu, if you will check, mostly you will have to do more downloads if you
want something more (like developer tools) and it's not really advisable for
a country like the Philippines where connection speed is terrible to keep on
downloading in order to get your install complete. Should your friend
require FC6 CDs or DVDs we can provide him a copy professional-made by the
FedoraProject and already checked for errors (if any). Please goto
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/FreeMedia to request for it.

I can also personally hand-over the CDs to your friend if he lives near
Manila (and if he can wait) as I will be having my yearly vacation May 2007.
By the way, I'm the Fedora Ambassador for the Philippines
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RinoMardo) ;-)