expanding Fedora user base

Mohd Izhar Firdaus Ismail mohd.izhar.firdaus at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 09:34:26 UTC 2007

On 4/13/07, Jeremy Hogan <jeremy.hogan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Parrots to 95% of the world are just pretty birds that are smart enough to
> learn to speak. Unless you've owned one, or spent more than a visit with
> someone who has one, you don't know how cranky and high maintenance they
> are. On that note, cranky and high maintenance aren't that far off the
> Fedora brand, are they? ;-)
>
> /me ducks.
>
> Seriously though, if we wanted to be exact with our mascot, it'd be a
> pimply, pasty fat kid who laughs at you when you can't configure X on your
> widescreen laptop. After all, the American Bald Eagle is a glorified
> buzzard, but it looks noble and majestic and fits on coins and has grown to
> embody the meanings US propagandists have made it mean. The mascot, if we
> choose to have one, just needs to be recognizable as being ours. Unless we
> have an animal commonly found wearing a felt brimmed hat, parrots are fine.
> So are dolphins, monkeys, and Kodiak Marmosets if we choose to create an
> identity around them.
>
> --jeremy

<OT>
ei?? .. suddenly this thread become another mascot discussion thread
:P  .. perhaps we really do need a mascot coz since that topic came up
everyone looks so happy & excited with it + I want more fedora-related
artworks @ gnome-look .. its a pity that almost all wallpapers in
gnome-look are ubuntu stuff
</OT>

I do agree Rick that we need more marketing efforts .. or at least
some good  impression to first timers .. Information for fedora are
scattered all over the internet and the wiki is scary to those who
doesnt know how to use it .. that alone already put potential new
users away ..

what I see so far  Fedora seems to attract tinkerers and serious
people (business, tech experts, etc)  rather common people .. I
believe thats what Rick meant by "warm and fuzzy" .. we need to have
more marketing resources  (presentations, videos, , handouts , etc)
targeted to this type of people who are dont really mind about the
technical details behind fedora

regards
Hikaru
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail