a call to action [Fwd: LWN headline: Blame Fedora = High Praise]

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Apr 15 22:59:06 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 10:44 +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> I think we spread the word enough its just people choose not to listen.
> Without actually placing it on their desktop and making a user click 'I
> understand this contains no propietary software' I don't know what else
> needs to be done.
> Is there enough information relating to fedora as to how to bypass the
> propietary codecs etc.. and use open source alternatives?

I've been a very long-time Linux integrator, over 12 years -- the last 5
as a traveling consultant at major Fortune 100 companies -- and not just
merely for "web services" (which I avoid like the black plague because
so many people are doing it).  I've been deploying Linux workstations
(as much as backend/data center servers) since the mid-'90s.

So, first off, I'd _avoid_ even using the word "proprietary."  There is
both support for "proprietary" formats and even various, other
"proprietary" aspects to things included with Fedora too.  Also remember
that "proprietary" is not always a "bad word" to many people.  I've even
argued that Microsoft solutions aren't "proprietary standards," because
that would require them to be maintained, which Microsoft does not.

Secondly, focus on the _real_aspects_ of Fedora, 100% redistribution
with 0% indemnification issues.  That's the _real_value_ of Fedora.
I've had to _confiscate_ various distros -- from select Knoppix Live CD
to many other Debian variants (although not _true_ Debian itself).  I
drive the point home -- these employees of my client are opening their
employer/my client to issues -- especially when it is redistributed by
the company.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com