multi-lingual release announcement

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 21:35:36 UTC 2007

2007/4/16, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>:

> The time has come to produce the final list of talking points we want
> covered in the F7 release:
>

> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/ReleaseAnnouncements/TalkingPoints
>
> By producing this list, we are enabling writers to write a
> native-language, region-specific version of the Fedora 7 release
> announcement.
>
> What do you want to see covered in all release announcements?

Many people may have heard  about the Core-Extras merger.
Mentioning "Core and Extras no longer exist; there is now only: Fedora" is
essential.
However, a lot of less technical people may wonder, "what does this mean?
Throw two repositories into one and you have one repository. What's the big
deal about that?"

So it might be a good idea to explain a little how much work work such a
thing is and what it entails, sort of.

Another thing that I'd really like to see mentioned is that:

-Fedora 7 now comes with the excellent SCIM input methods working straight
out of the box. No need to edit any more configuration files manually.
"Use Ctrl Space (or your mouse) to call the input path or change it to your
liking; install your favorite methods in the package manager (search for
SCIM and/or M17N). Just about any "exotic" alphabet/set of characters (from
the point of view of English/latin script) can be handled by SCIM these
days."

Other good things to mention:

-The graphical update notifier: no more need to start Pup yourself;

-An easier (and graphical) SELinux troubleshooting tool that tells the user
what's going on if there are issues.

-And of course the (rather fresh) Gnome 2.18; not a revolution but a very
nice update with many improvements, a menu that's more intuitive than ever,
and the 'Bug Buddy', making it easier to report bugs and contribute to
making your favorite distribution/desktop environment even better.

-Maybe mentioning Compiz/AIGLX bling, if necessary, can be linked to
mentioning the optional use nice gconf-editor tool to make it work just how
you like it.

(I would like to also hear about some more under the hood issues but my
knowledge is limited.)

It is important that the announcement is enthusiastic. :-)

regards,
herman