Fwd: Has fedora lost its charm ? ? ?

Herman Meester crazymulgogi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:10:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 21:43 +0200, nihed mbarek wrote:

> [...]

Some people seem to think that the popular Linux distributions are in
some kind of struggle for the domination of the Linux desktop.
In this light it is good to realise that Canonical and Red Hat have
different business models.
Canonical tries to have everybody use Ubuntu (which is why they even pay
for shipping cds to you), so that the distro becomes some kind of
default, and eventually people will choose to pay Canonical to provide
them Linux support on their Ubuntu corporate servers and desktops.
Red Hat, on the other hand, uses Fedora as the basis for their
enterprise Linux product, which you can't even run unless you pay for
it.

Red Hat's business model is about technologically advanced and
innovative software, well implemented security features and rock solid
systems. They sell that at good prices with the support they are able to
give for it.
Canonical doesn't want to sell subscriptions to their software, but
support to anyone that happened to decide to run Ubuntu, since that is
for free anyway. Companies that sell support by incident are less likely
to want to deliver the best possible software. They are likely to
support a product that is *good enough* and easy for users to set up,
but they won't do their utmost to perfect consistency, kill bugs, harden
security.

I'm not saying that one of these models is superior (I have my own
thoughts, though ;) ), it's just that I wonder why the business model is
mentioned only very occasionally when it comes to, for example, Ubuntu,
and talking about Linux distributions in general. It's not as if all
distributions have the same objectives, reason to exist, or business
plan, if any.
Ubuntu have done such a great job at marketing and creating a feel-good
mood about their distro that people forget there is some real business
going on in the Linux world. If Shuttleworth was *just* a
philanthropist, and not an entrepreneur at all, he might have just left
Debian alone and do something against AIDS, leprosy and/or poverty.
After all, you can't go on shipping free cds for the next decades
without making some money.

Nothing wrong with trying to make a viable business out of a Debian
spin-off. Maybe Ubu/Canonical is right about at least one thing: conquer
the server (where much of the money is) by means of the desktop.
Even Microsoft did that.
Red Hat/Fedora can't go there just yet, if at all. Red Hat is not
willing to support proprietary wireless/graphics drivers, Flash and
other stuff, and patented media codecs. Plus, RH would have to change
their business model while their present one is working out very well
for them.

Franky, I ended up being a very happy Fedora/CentOS user after trying
Ubuntu and wanting to just run that. I thought that after Suse I needed
something with more of a K.I.S.S. (tm) attitude and I thought Ubuntu
offered that. However, there was a bug or two that prevented me from
using my printer, SCIM. and something else I forgot.

Why do I say all this? I stuck with Fedora/CentOS because I love the
system, its quality and consistency, the fact that it comes with real
stuff 'under the hood' in stead of just new wallpapers and icons. Yet I
never really planned to ever use Fedora because I thought the Ubu/Deb
family was good enough for me.
I'm not really a 'serious' geek but around me I see that RHEL/CentOS
(and, although since CentOS' success to a lesser extent, Fedora) are
still very much appreciated for innovation and quality among technically
advanced *n*x users. Those users wonder when stuff like SELinux arrives
at Ubuntu. And they couldn't care less that Fedora doesn't allow them to
click only one button to install gstreamer-plugin-ugly, w32codecs or
libdvdcss. Unpack, configure, make, make install is not that complex
after all. ;)

So I think it is pointless for Fedora to imitate Ubuntu and try to be as
'cool' as that. There's no such way to handle the hype (don't get me
wrong, Ubuntu is a good system overall, so the hype is not entirely
undeserved). The only way is to be so good on a technological level that
a bit more advanced users of, say, Ubuntu would some day check it out
and start to like it. Maybe it sounds a bit elitish which is not really
what I mean, but to have the users that know what *n*x is about is more
beneficial to Fedora than to have all the Windows gamers and script
kiddies that want to be cool too and run install Linux to show off
Beryl.

Where does the marketing list fit in?
Simply keep communicating that Fedora is about free (as in..) software.
Maybe pointing out that yum/rpm really *does* work just as well as
apt-get/dpkg would help too. ;) You see, I'm a bit tired of those
claiming that .deb-systems are so superior because they don't have
yum/rpm 'which sucks'.

I hope enough people will disagree with me completely so that I may hear
what 'y'all' think about all this. I mean, maybe many folks believe that
to just Ubuntify Fedora is the way to go?

regards,
herman