Fedora's mid-life crisis

Marc Wiriadisastra marc at mwiriadi.id.au
Sun Aug 5 15:02:01 UTC 2007

I'm a bit inexperienced with that situation personally but I would have
thought the whole point of voting leaders to the board is so that they lead?
So what does the board do on a strategic level?  I'm not meaning to question
in a derogatory way but I would have thought the strategic aspect of the
board would be to consider these aspects of Fedora and at least try and find
solutions to the questions.

> .  Now people can say it's aimed
> > at devs but to me it seems like Fedora is very strong in the server
> market
> > but on the desktop side of things it doesn't go all the way.  Leaving
> Codecs
> > out of it cause to me that's irrelevant.
>
> Servers usually need a longer lifecyle to be effective though and
> codecs
> are a important factor in what you consider a desktop but true we are
> not going to be doing proprietary codecs by default.
> >
> > So I suppose it's back to the question who is Fedora targeting as an
> > audience?  Should Fedora separate out certain aspects to cater to
> certain
> > areas?  Like coming up with ideas for desktop enhancements and a
> group for
> > Server enhancements.  With the Live-CD's I believe that's a HUGE step
> in the
> > right direction.
>
> Right. Live images are a good first step. There has been a number of
> discussions on the steps forward. We will have to explore and see.
> Nobody has all the answers.
>
> Rahul

Anything that you can share? I'm quite interested in seeing where Fedora is
heading.

Cheers,

Marc Wiriadisastra