Fedora's mid-life crisis

Imtiaz Rahi imtiaz.rahi at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 20:40:44 UTC 2007

Luya is one point. Fedora is used and can be used for so many purposes.
As a base distro Fedora can concentrate to be a good desktop even without
considering the Multimedia issues.
With some more polish like to be a good choice for Laptop, ease of use.
And even with those I guess Fedora will not loose its appeal as server
distro.
Whether we don't support Fedora for long time or not its being used as
server in lots of places, at production sites.
Because of its stability (acceptable range) and ease of configure. Its got
the balance of configuration using GUI and command line.

Only painful thing to me is YUM. RPM packages are good but YUM, Pirut and
others are not good enough.
Synaptic is still better to see what updates are available, then choose one
and find out what are the dependencies which are going to be downloaded and
etc.

Fedora has so many ways to go and opportunities, may be thats why we don't
know where to go.
Certainly, I don't want to mention it as just a developer distro.

Also, any derivatives should be able to say its based on Fedora rather then
removing all Fedora branding. Fedora should be that much flexible.

Why don't we arrange a poll ?

Cheers,
Imtiaz