Fedora's mid-life crisis -- YUM v. APT v. SmartPM

Igor Jagec igorm5 at vip.hr
Mon Aug 6 11:19:13 UTC 2007

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 09:22 +0200, Igor Jagec wrote:
>> There was an serious issue about SmartPM, but it seems to be solved.
>> http://tracker.labix.org/issue268
> Secondly, I was *NOT* saying Smart was "better."  I was merely saying,
> "why not SmartPM then?"  I often like to answer a
> question/recommendation with another question.  E.g., I did this with
> people who were critical of LPI on testing Sendmail when they started
> saying, "why not Exim?" by saying "why not Postfix then?"

Ok, I was just pointing out about the issue.

> I hear so many people saying "Apt-RPM! Apt-RPM! I love Synaptic!" not

Well, I do not prefer AptRPM and Synaptic. I like SmartPM best, but the
issue above is the reason why I use Yum, even if it is very slow. At
least it works fine for me. BTW the patch for the SmartPM issue still
hasn't been applied upstream, so I'll have to wait a bit.

Cheers!

--
Igor Jagec