Fedora's mid-life crisis -- YUM v. APT v. SmartPM

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 6 11:30:22 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 13:19 +0200, Igor Jagec wrote:
> Ok, I was just pointing out about the issue.

Oh, I know.  And I appreciate the bug report, as I didn't know about it.
Just understand I often have a tendency to try to get people to think
that there isn't "only one alternative."

Of course, I'm also someone who votes my conscience too.  I don't give
into the "oh, a vote for YUM is a vote against Apt-RPM" or "oh, a vote
for Apt-RPM is a vote against YUM" type non-sense.  If I like something,
I use it.  XFCE would be another, perfect example.

> Well, I do not prefer AptRPM and Synaptic. I like SmartPM best, but the
> issue above is the reason why I use Yum, even if it is very slow.

I think YUM's speed is over-demonized.  At most, I wish there was an
option to discretely decide when to sync with the repositories, like in
Apt.  And there are other considerations too.  But, for the most part,
it does work.  And when not, a "yum clean all" takes care of everything.

Not ideal, but it is a "well-known, good starting point."

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com