Fedora's mid-life crisis

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Aug 6 14:20:35 UTC 2007

On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> I would have thought that the Fedora Board would have considered that
> question and possibly answered it in their own heads.  It's one of the
> long standing question who is the target market.  Now people can say
> it's aimed at devs but to me it seems like Fedora is very strong in the
> server market but on the desktop side of things it doesn't go all the
> way.  Leaving Codecs out of it cause to me that's irrelevant.

The primary target market is people who love free software, and who want
to work *actively* to make free software better.  All other markets are
secondary.  Important, but secondary.

> Using PCLinuxOS or Ubuntu as an example they have pointed themselves
> directly at the desktop market and their server or Ubuntu's server setup
> isn't as good as Fedora's (My opinion = SELinux, stability and ease of
> install).  Fedora to me as always looked and felt like a Corporate Desktop
> and or Corporate Server more so than a home desktop.  Yet by the same token
> there are some significant enhancements in the desktop part that I have
> thought damn they are good.
>
> So I suppose it's back to the question who is Fedora targeting as an
> audience?  Should Fedora separate out certain aspects to cater to certain
> areas?  Like coming up with ideas for desktop enhancements and a group for
> Server enhancements.  With the Live-CD's I believe that's a HUGE step in the
> right direction.

This is as much a question for the greater Fedora community as it is for
the Red Hat members thereof.  If the community decides that they want to
see more desktop-focused work, there are areas where dedicated community
folk can start *right now*.  Coming up with a suitable replacement for
Pirut, for example.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg