How to compete against Ubuntu (Clarification)

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Aug 6 20:47:38 UTC 2007

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Greg hit it on the nose IMHO.  There is a reason why Debian and
> Fedora still get a lot of contributors.  That's because that is their
> focus.  ;)

I'm glad you appreciate the focus. Amazed, but pleasantly surprised. I'm
often not looking back as much as anyone else may be; With Fedora moving
forward all the time that is a perfect fit.

But, as we all seem to agree, focus does it. Focus is good, and great
people with focus tend to do even greater things. I hope though this
focus in any number of days from now will be the same focus it has been
ever since I joined this world.

Focus may blur sometimes. It happens. Maybe because someone else is
doing better in some way or getting higher numbers somehow. Point is it
cannot or should not get us distracted.

If you spend your days helping cats [1], it's your hobby and you're
life's focus, would you rather pursue to convince the world to help cats
rather then dogs, or actually help cats? Would you care if the dog
helpers get to help more dogs then you get to help cats? Whether their
dogs have a better color scheme? Warmer fur?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

[1] Max Spevack's Blog - "on leadership and volunteer management"
http://spevack.livejournal.com/23189.html