Intro & observations

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Tue Aug 21 15:08:02 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 10:46 -0300, Davidson Rodrigues Paulo wrote:
> Yes, but we [the developers] are the minority. We never can forget this.

If Fedora is catering to contributors, then there is that consideration.

Furthermore, some security aspects aren't merely "Point'n Click."  As
someone who has done policies & procedures for banks, forcing people to
use a process is not optional, and I don't know how many times I caught
key people giving out or assuming authentications were actual, when they
were not.

> Right, this is part of the Free Software philosophy, that is, "do
> things the way you want", not "I don't care if there is another way to
> do that, do it the way I did".

I'm not seeing your point there.  My apologies if I'm assuming here.

There is a reason why there is _always_ a "command line interface" (CLI)
to every program, it's the "most common denominator."  Graphical user
interfaces (GUI) should never cross CLI interfaces, _only_ complement.
The GNU project and standards has drastically improved these standards
over previous UNIX efforts.  And there are reasons why the system may
need to be configurable outside the GUI as well.  ;)

As an original NT 3.1 beta tester through today as a person who
regularly "retrains" (i.e., "deprograms") Windows sysadmins to "think
multiuser, think piecemeal, think security" like UNIX/Linux, I have
volumes on what NT absolutely screws up on and lacks standards when it
comes to this -- often to the ultimate demise of Microsoft Professionals
who, eventually, do not tolerate it.

--
Bryan J. Smith         Professional, Technical Annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org   http://thebs413.blogspot.com