Intro & observations

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Thu Aug 23 08:51:40 UTC 2007

Le Mar 21 août 2007 15:46, Davidson Rodrigues Paulo a écrit :
> 2007/8/21, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>:

>> So while you can document the graphical utilities better, the
>> command
>> line variants need to be retained.
>
> Right, this is part of the Free Software philosophy, that is, "do
> things the way you want", not "I don't care if there is another way to

GUI has the slight problem it's nightmarish to document, because the
UI can be localised (and the localisation may be unstable), themes
interfere, GUI devs like to change their UI every few releases, and
you can't assume the same utilities are installed on KDE and GNOME
desktops. That's why almost no one uses help pages for GUI tools,
because they seem to get out of date all the time by design.

Documentation is not impossible to do, but it requires several orders
of magnitude more work than the CLI.

--
Nicolas Mailhot