Distrowatch on Fedora this year

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 17 17:54:39 UTC 2007

On 12/17/2007 06:35 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Christopher Aillon wrote:
>>> It wouldn't be a burden to tell the world that we are doing what we
>>> are doing then. One simple way to do this it to just blog more often.
>>> Our engineers do that sometimes but way less than ideal.
>>
>> NURRRRRR.  BZZZZZT.  WRONG WRONG WRONG.
>>
>> If an engineer happens to take time out of their busy lives, and time
>> away from doing awesome feature work for Fedora 9, then consider it a
>> bonus.  Expecting this from any engineer is just insane.
>
> I completely disagree. Other distributions have done a fairly good job
> in marketing themselves via developers and it is critically important to
> their successes. The community can't create the buzz for them if they
> don't know such features exist in the first place which is frequently
> the case with Fedora.

Has it ever occured to you that maybe our engineering team is better
because we're focused on doing real, actual work instead of blogging
about how awesome we are like certain other distros?  Having engineers
do the job of a marketing team may work short term to gather hype, but
it comes at a huge cost.