Fedora and lack of audio communication with the community

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 21:18:17 UTC 2007

Bringing this over from f-devel-l, where it shouldn't have been...

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 09:45 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:
> > Podcasts are useless to the deaf and Hard of Hearing. If you want to put
> > a podcast up, fine. if you don't have a transcript of it you're
> > excluding that portion of the population, entirely. There is currently
> > software to read text in a voice for the blind, we have nothing to
> > convert speech to text.
> >
> > that's why we shouldn't do podcasts.
>
> Are you against radio as well?  Some podcasts are just recordings of
> radio sessions that were broadcast live.  And most of the technical ones
> are just people talking about things that are available in print anyway.

Volunteers can and should do constructive things that make them happy;
doing a podcast would be a lot better if it included a transcript.  I
used to do a podcast of Fedora Weekly News, which I assume is acceptable
by Seth's standards because it was an audio reading of the already
written news.  I'd be very hesitant to put a Fedora Project stamp on any
podcast that didn't similarly try to cover as many bases as possible.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/