Fedora more successful, developer-wise, than Ubuntu

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Dec 24 22:19:07 UTC 2007

Jon Stanley wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2007 2:49 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Point to specific functionality... open functionality that Fedora
>> doesn't have that we should.
>
> I think that what is being referred to here is the Ubuntu 'LTS'
> releases, that get long term support updates.  I 'm kind of on the
> fence on whether or not we should do this - it means extra developer
> cycles that may or may not exist, and the fact that we *do* have RHEL
> and it's derivatives, a la CentOS.  Someone looking for a free as in
> {speech,beer} distribution with long term support I tend to point
> towards CentOS, but maybe there is middle ground between that and the
> current Fedora that we don't have.

I don't think Ubuntu LTS gives you the latest and greatest unless you
upgrade, does it?

Same with CentOS; although it might be supported longer then you are
going to use it, whenever you feel you want newer software you upgrade
to the next release. Meanwhile, it's stable.

The Fedora Project moves in with EPEL, Extra Packages for Enterprise
Linux, perfectly suitable for a CentOS machine and with the same release
and 'support' cycle.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip