Multiple distro reviews

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Sun Dec 30 21:38:14 UTC 2007

Valent Turkovic schrieb:
> In this multiple disto review:
> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20071203#review
>
> Fedora got second worst score, I can't imagine why but still I wanted
> to share the link.

Oh well. Giving SuSE 8 for pkg management and Fedora only a 5 is a shame.

But the summary gives an explanation for the final result:

"The bottom line is that you really need to know what you are doing if
you want to use Fedora. It is not for novices, although installing this
distribution will probably cause you to take a crash course in Linux
system configuration, which could result in you becoming a guru, after
some considerable frustration. Not recommended for those wishing to
convert from using Windows, but developers will probably like the
environment."

Some numbers of my latest installs:
* Red Hat Enterprise Linux (about 10 minutes - kickstart)
* Fedora (about 30 minutes, quite fast machine)
* S.u.S.E. (about 1 day - in 1996, "pkg management": tarballs!)

So S.u.S.E. is worse in installation and worse in pkg management. :-P

-of