[Fedora-marketing-list] Digg and Fedora marketing

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 15:35:39 UTC 2007

I've always struggled a bit with the question, "how can Fedora marketing
list be effective?  What can we do to amplify the Fedora messages of
freedom and innovation?"

It's a tough thing sometimes, even figuring out what the precise Fedora
message is.  We've got some talking points, and they're valid enough, but
amplifying that message can be tough as well.

So I've been thinking about really organizing to support the stories that
*we* think are important -- specifically, getting organized on Digg.  I'd
like to hear your thoughts.

* * *

The proposal: Use Fedora-marketing-list to communicate about Digg-able
stories.  How?

* f-m-l members could create Digg accounts, if they don't have them
already.

* f-m-l members could look for breaking stories already on Digg
(http://digg.com/linux_unix/upcoming) or, if they find a good story, they
could submit it themselves (http://digg.com/submit).

* f-m-l members could then post the URL of the story to f-m-l.  Something
in the title, maybe, like "DIGG: Fedora 7 Test 1 Released."  (Making sure
not to dupe stories and split our efforts.)

* When a Digg hits f-m-l, members should go check the story out.  If it
seems like a good Fedora story, digg it.

* Be ready to join the discussions around these Dugg stories.

* * *

Pretty simple, really, and shouldn't take much of people's time.  If we
get enough people regularly Digging the best stories about Fedora, I think
we'll do a lot to improve our visibility.

Anxious to hear what folks think.

--g