[Fedora-marketing-list] Digg and Fedora marketing

Prarit Bhargava prarit at redhat.com
Tue Jan 23 16:14:56 UTC 2007

David Nalley wrote:

> Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
>
>> I've always struggled a bit with the question, "how can Fedora marketing
>> list be effective?  What can we do to amplify the Fedora messages of
>> freedom and innovation?"
>>
>> It's a tough thing sometimes, even figuring out what the precise Fedora
>> message is.  We've got some talking points, and they're valid enough,
>> but amplifying that message can be tough as well.
>>
>> So I've been thinking about really organizing to support the stories
>> that *we* think are important -- specifically, getting organized on
>> Digg.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.
>>
>> * * *
>>
>> The proposal: Use Fedora-marketing-list to communicate about Digg-able
>> stories.  How?
>>
>> * f-m-l members could create Digg accounts, if they don't have them
>> already.
>>
>> * f-m-l members could look for breaking stories already on Digg
>> (http://digg.com/linux_unix/upcoming) or, if they find a good story,
>> they could submit it themselves (http://digg.com/submit).
>>
>> * f-m-l members could then post the URL of the story to f-m-l.
>> Something in the title, maybe, like "DIGG: Fedora 7 Test 1 Released."
>> (Making sure not to dupe stories and split our efforts.)
>>
>> * When a Digg hits f-m-l, members should go check the story out.  If it
>> seems like a good Fedora story, digg it.
>>
>> * Be ready to join the discussions around these Dugg stories.

I like the idea but we should be careful about doing this.

I've been a lurker on digg for quite a while, and the one thing that
diggers hate (maybe even more than spam!) is when there is a concerted
effort to digg stories up by a group of people who are "promoting"
something.

This could turn into a very bad idea...

Just a warning,

P.