Post-introduction (some 2 years late) ...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Mon Jul 23 04:43:41 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 23:49 -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> I've been on the list some 2 years, and I've never introduced myself.
> It's not really that I want to introduce myself now, but rather make
> some statements/clarifications that those running this list should be
> aware of.

Welcome, Bryan. ;-D

> First off, I joined in 2005 August following interest in the logo.  I
> raised some legal considerations that the time (which caused some
> negative interest) and I pretty much been a lurker "on and off" since.

FWIW, I usually appreciate your viewpoint.  At the least, I'm impressed
with how much you can type (and remember from the top of your head) on a
Blackberry

> Secondly off, I never put forth the effort to become a "Fedora
> Ambassador" myself, of which I hope does not disqualify myself from
> being on this list.  I have pitched the same idea to other groups (e.g.,
> LPI for their Alumni) because I think it's a good avenue.

This is a general list about growing Fedora, what is usually called
'marketing' in a business.  IMHO, all are welcome, except haters.  You
don't strike me as a hater.

> Third, I joined a Linux vendor this past week, so I don't think I can be
> an impartial Fedora Ambassador in the future, at least not while I'm at
> this company.  Again, following the second point, let me know if this
> disqualifies myself from being on this list.

Naturally, I'm curious who that is, and note you explicitly don't say
(here or on your blog), so I'll respect your privacy and not ask.

Regardless, Fedora is the upstream for *a lot* of downstream, as well as
a cross stream with all other projects.  Again, all are welcome save
haters ...

> I won't talk about my history except as stated in my signature ...
> "Professional, Technical Annoyance."  That and the disclaimer that I've
> made 90% of my salary/billables on Red Hat solutions over the last 12
> years.  I.e., I'm your typical, American Libertarian capitalist pig who
> probably wouldn't be here if it didn't make me so rich.  ;)

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22bryan+J+smith%22+fedora-marketing-list

I'm actually surprised it got so few hits ...

- Karsten
--
   Karsten Wade, 108 Editor       ^     Fedora Documentation Project