A computer in every pot

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Jul 28 22:01:47 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Hi
>
> The user interface is called Sugar and not the OS itself but a good
> article nevertheless. BBC published a couple of articles with more
> technical information and videos featuring Christopher Blizzard, lead
> OLPC team in Red Hat.
>
> http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9539441
>
> "If the ingenuity of the XO’s hardware is impressive, the machine’s
> software is truly ground-breaking. Red Hat, the world’s largest Linux
> distributor, has provided an extremely compact version of its Fedora
> operating system, called Sugar, that uses a mere 130 megabytes of the
> XO’s flash memory. By comparison, Windows XP requires 1.65 gigabytes."

> Rahul

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't had the opportunity to watching the Sugar
UI in action in the OLPC. However, I still don't like it that the BBC
uses codecs that make it difficult for users of 64-bit systems to watch
(not all plugins available are capable of displaying Windows Media video
the way they send it, and there is no Real Player plugin for 64-bit
systems). Still the Flash videos I could watch, and loved them.