Fedora Project Sign for GITEX Demo Pod -- here we go ...

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jul 30 17:12:23 UTC 2007

John Babich wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Chitlesh GOORAH <chitlesh at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> Without RH logo. !
>>
>> Why ? following John Babich discussion, some of us had some
>> difficulties in organizing fedora booths at certain events in the
>> past, just because Fedora was too related to Red Hat.
>>
>> Some organizers pointed to the direct influence of Red Hat in fedora's
>> marketing team. At that time, we hadn't much choice than to accept and
>> pay high price for the booth.
>>

> I wasn't aware of this...

To clarify on that, in some conferences non-commercial or volunteer
entities are charged lower or given free booth space while commercial
entities are charged usually heavily to compensate for free both space
to others.

This in general is a good scheme except that some organizers refuse to
consider Fedora as a volunteer community vis-a-vis it's relationship to
Red Hat. Red Hat does not allocate a huge budget that is Fedora specific
because it considers Fedora as more of as a community effort and not a
commercial product.  This means Red Hat or Fedora volunteers end up
footing a higher bill than necessary.  If we can avoid that problems,
these funds can be used for a greater good.

In a conference that was organized in my region separate booths in
different places were setup for Fedora and Red Hat.  One potential
problem with this setup is that some people are not aware of any
relationships and end up asking questions like "How do you compete with
Red Hat?". If you manage to communicate the relationships in your
introductions while avoiding the pitfalls, that would be the ideal solution.

Rahul