Red Hat Launches New Package Repository for Enterprise Linux

Gian Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Jul 31 02:01:00 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram escribió:
> Bryan J. Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 17:16 -0500, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>>> Now they only have to issue an update batch where they also include
>>> as dependencies the required packages to configure these extra
>>> repositories in the deployed and supported distributions so users
>>> would have to do zero to very little configuration and start using
>>> these packages.
>>
>> I've re-read this a couple of times and I'm still confused on what you
>> meant by an "update batch"?  And provided by whom?
>>

> He wants Red Hat to include EPEL as a repository by default. By
> "update batch", he is referring to the sync updates like 5.1. This
> needs to be discussed with product management. I will let you know if
> and when there is a change.
>
> Rahul

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Though from the discussion you two are having, it may seem as if this is
going to be an "at your own risk" sort of thing for RHEL users. I
certainly hope it will not be that way. Make EPEL move as slowly as RHEL
and to test each package as thoroughly as they test each RHEL release,
just bring the myriad of awesome packages that live in the repos to RHEL
users. I'd venture to guess that this would be a good thing for
corporate desktop users, and even those few who choose to user RHEL for
their home systems.