rotating banners, first idea

Benjamin Lewis ben.lewis at benl.co.uk
Sat Jun 2 08:25:44 UTC 2007

Máirí­n Duffy wrote:
> Karsten Wade wrote:
>> And my first proposed idea, from a Linux Watch quote of Max:
>>
>> 'Spevack concluded, "We'll advertise the most popular spins on Fedora on
>> the Fedora site. So, if someone created a very small distribution it
>> might be advertised as Damn Small Fedora Linux." This is a play on the
>> popular DSL (Damn Small Linux) distribution.'
>>
>> The first rotated banner promotes either i) that effort (points to a
>> special 'popular spins' page), or ii) directly promotes one or more
>> popular spins.
>
> Here's one concept for that promo:
>
> http://linuxgrrl.com/misc/spin-promo.png
I like that banner! Very funny

> I got some suggestions for improvement like making the logo more like
> a banana label and putting the logo on one of those back blankets
> rather than directly on the pony... we can easily switch these out for
> better/funnier/more allegorical/etc objects.
How about a cream cake, would be funnier than a Shuttle, IMHO.

> some bylines I thought of for this:
>
> - "what kind of fedora will *you* make?"
> - "what's your fedora?"
Too much like hats.
> - "make it yours" / "go ahead, make it yours"
> - "build the fedora of your dreams" (with some kind of house +
> blueprints artwork maybe)
> - "a perfect fit" / "tailored for you" / "os doesn't quite fit?"
> (weird idea: have three people wearing suse/ubuntu/debian
> suits/dresses that are rumply and baggy and not quite right, and then
> have a tailor with a 'revisor' nametag or something tailoring the
> fourth person's fedora outfit which fits much more nicely than the
> others)
Again, too much like hats and I think we should avoid hat references
> - "remix. share. get mad props." (dj with fedora logo, crowd around
> him cheering him on)
> - "it's all about you"
>
> ~m

Otherwise, great!

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador
ben.lewis at benl.co.uk

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118